Friday 13 April 2012

IS CITIZEN JOURNALISM A THREAT OR A CHALLENGE TO PROFESSIONAL JOURNALISM?


CONSTANCE MENSAH
213/9/BA-JNL/012

Journalism is the gathering of facts, information, etc on events, issues and trends and disseminating it to a wide audience.
A person who has been trained to do this job is a professional journalist.
Citizen journalism is when private individuals essentially do what professional journalists do, that is reporting information, with the use of modern communication technologies.
Many questions have been asked over the years as to if the work of a citizen journalist serves as a threat to that of the professional and I for one thinks this is so because of the reasons given below.
First of all, one may argue that, the constitution allows for freedom of speech and so no individual should be restricted to talk, also, many stories have been brought to light through citizen journalists when the professionals were nowhere to be found to cover it. True, however, does their work meet the standard of that of the professionals who make sure that they edit their work in order to make it acceptable to the public? No, they do no such thing, since it is done by just an individual.
Moreover, citizen journalists normally post news in blogs which are free, and so sooner or later, the professional who the job serves as his or her source of livelihood will be put out of work since no one will buy newspapers or even watch or listen to news on radio or television.
Furthermore, because they are not ethical, they make certain mistakes such as not been able to deal with emotional or sensitive issues such as accidents or death with the general public. By so doing, destroying the industry that the professionals have worked so hard to build.
Lastly, because they are most of the time in a hurry to report news, they hardly do research into certain issues before reporting it. When this happens, they sometimes make mistakes in their reportage and in the process, misinforming their audience.
All these actions and inactions of citizen journalists serve as a threat to the work of professional journalists.


3 comments:

  1. Constance, you've enumerated the functions and the way the citizen journalist works in contrast to the professional journalism. What is missing is you describing how these can threaten the existence of professional journalism. Merely stating that citizen journalist pose a threat to professional journalists is not sufficient to argue your point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd,HPV,Cancer, Hepatitis,Shingles, Diabetes,Epilepsy,Infertility, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small fraction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goji Berries... yes... I tried those too.for my health conditions, Those sweet, red berries seemed to help, but only during the time when I consumed them. I don't want to take a drug for the rest of my life, so why would I want to take a natural supplement everyday for the rest of my life (although Goji berries are very tasty and are highly nourishing). To me this was not a cure either (and I'm LOOKING for the CURE).
    Up to that point, I hadn't found a cure.  I felt like a young jumbled mess. I continued to have extreme pain, but continued on my path to healing. I started to focus on myself and not everyone else. When I was a young adult, I took on too much responsibility out of a sense of obligation. This was no longer healthy for me, so I resigned from all my projects and groups. Those days to come were the best [and worst] days. I took a lot of time off work, yet begun to feel so extremely exhausted. Many health professionals "diagnosed" me with adrenal fatigue & Hiv,Prostate Cancer so my situation was annoying then I keep searching for permanent cure online that's when I came to know of Dr Itua herbal center hands whom god has blessed with ancestral herbs and a gift to heal people with disease like .Cancers,Alzheimer's disease,HPV,Men & Women Infertility,Melanoma, Mesothelioma, Diabetes, Multiple myeloma, Parkinson's disease,Neuroendocrine tumors,Herpes, Hiv/Aids,Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma,, chronic diarrhea, COPD,Love spell, Hepatitis... So I made a purchase of his herbal medicines and I have been watching my health for 6 years now and I actually confirmed that his herbal medicines are a permanent cure and I'm so happy that I came to know of his herbal healings.You can contact Dr Itua herbal center Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com  WhatsApp: +2348149277967.  if you went through exactly what I go through in terms of health conditions because really honest there is more to learn about natural herbs than medical drugs.

    ReplyDelete